It is the largest organ system made up of skin, hairs, nails, glands and nerve receptors to protect us from infections, changing temperature and performs many other functions like- detection of pain, sensation and pressure, prevent water loss, protection from pollution, UV rays and store fat, water, glucose and vitamin D.
IMAGE Source:OpenStax College. Anatomy & Physiology, Connexions
Web site. http://cnx.org/content/col11496/1.6/, Jun 19, 2013.
While integumentary system is made up of skin, but our sensory system is made up of 5 important senses and skin is one among them. The five sensory organs are:
- EYES: Eyes are the organ of sight i.e. vision sense. They are composed of a pair of fluid-filled spherical structures that occupy the orbits of the skull. Incoming light is refracted by the cornea of the eye and transmitted through the pupil to the lens, which focuses the image onto the retina.
- EARS: Ears are the organ of hearing, responsible for maintaining equilibrium as well as sensing sound. Thus ears serve as hearing sensor. Their structure is divided into three parts as- external ear, the middle ear, and the inner ear.
- MOUTH: It serves as taste sensor.
- NOSE: Nose is t
- SKIN: Our skin serves three main purposes; namely, protection of the inner organism, regulation of body temperature and elimination of cell waste and systemic refuse.
- SKIN CANCER
- VITILIGO (white skin patch)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.